Footy star goes from hero to zero over pub fight

Source: The Border Mail

HUME football premiership hero Kylin Morey is facing charges over two serious assaults at a Lavington hotel in October.

Morey, who kicked eight goals for Brocklesby-Burrumbuttock in their premiership win against Holbrook, was at the Boomerang Hotel’s beer garden about 8.45pm on October 26.

Albury Local Court heard yesterday how Morey argued with members of another group and a fight started.

Security film showed Morey punching an unknown man who was wearing a blue jumper as he stood near an ATM.

The man fell and Morey continued punching him while he was on the ground and not retaliating.

Morey also punched another man in a black singlet who tried to intervene.

Security staff and friends tried to lead Morey away, but he threw a table in the direction of the man in the singlet.

About that time, a friend of Morey, Benjamin John Hall, who had been ordered to leave the beer garden, ran back in.

He punched an unknown man to the face with his left fist.

The man fell backwards on to a concrete floor unconscious.

Morey, 22, of Valverde Court, Thurgoona, and Hall, 22, of Cattlin Avenue, Albury, both pleaded guilty to affray charges.

Magistrate Tony Murray has ordered pre-sentence reports on both and adjourned sentencing until April 1.

“You are very fortunate the person you punched did not suffer any injuries when he fell to the concrete,” he told Hall.

He said this was “exactly” the type of offence that outraged the community.

“The consumption of alcohol is not an excuse for behaving like this,” Mr Murray said.

Police identified Hall from the hotel’s security footage.

He said when they phoned him on December 23 that he had not been in Albury and did not wish to go to the police station about the matter.

The hotel’s manager had identified Morey, who is an apprentice glazier.

Morey’s victim was seen to be bleeding from the left temple when leaving the hotel.

Police went to Albury and Wodonga hospitals but no one had sought treatment for that injury.

Morey told police when interviewed on December 6 he could not recall the incident.

Police showed him footage of the incident and he expressed his remorse.

Mr Murray told Morey: “This is a bad example of this type of offence.”

Kylin Morey won man of the match in the Hume league grand final between Brocklesby and Burrumbuttock last year.